Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cheap Decorative Letters

As you know if you read this post, KBeaner's birthday is coming up. I'm trying to decorate her party by spending the least possible, and I'd like the decorations I make to be used for her birthday parties to come.

I love when people have pretty lettering on their walls, and I had seen a cheap way to do it on Pinterest (I of course can't find the pin so I apologize for not giving the person credit!) . Instead of buying the wooden letters I could just cut my own out of cardboard and then cover them with fabric.

Lucky for me I have an abundance of fabric and since Christmas was just a few weeks ago we still had a lot of cardboard boxes hanging around. KBeaner has been using them as forts, cars, pretending to be a robot and she one day made it a great hiding place...


All that you need is...
cardboard
Exacto knife
fabric
fabric glue (I'm sure other glue would work too)

I just wrote the letters out using a ruler, but you could always print out a stencil online or buy one at the store. Once your letters are drawn out use your Exacto knife to cut them out. 

The fabric I used was from the remnants section at JoAnn's Fabric from a while ago, I love that section they are already discounted fabric at an even more discounted price! I think I paid $1 for almost a half of yard.


 Next wrap your letters with the fabric, make sure to put your letter on the back of the fabric backwards so that when you flip the fabric over it is going in the correct direction, I made this mistake a couple times.

For the corners and curves of the letters I cut slits in the fabric so that they it would go around the letter nicely. The good thing about using fabric glue is that you can undo the fabric if you don't like how it looks.

Here is the finished project, I am going to hang the letters on the wall of her party. You could also put the letters on ribbon and hang it like a banner.



The possibilities of making these cheap decorative letters is endless, you could make ones for any occasion or make ones that you can hang up one with your family's name in your family room. 

1 comment: