Thursday, January 23, 2014

Coffee Filter Flowers

As I've mention before KBeaner's birthday is coming up, I want her party (which is a Fairy Tea Party) to have lots of decorations but I don't want to spend a lot of money. So I spent a lot of time doing "research" on Pinterest. I found this one and really liked this tutorial, but this one had glue in it and I'm lazy and felt that the gluing section might just take too much time.

All you need is...
Coffee filters
Scissors
Floral wire (or any time of small wire)

I searched and searched at Target for floral wire, not to find any but I did find in the 90% off Christmas Clearance ornament hooks, ones in green and some in silver, for 10 cents each I bought both. I used the green as a replacement for floral wire in this project. I love when things like this just fall into my lap!

Now here is how to cut your coffee filters, I used 3 piled together, then took another 3 and cut them a little bit longer so that the layers of the "flowers" are not all one length.

Once all 6 coffee filters are cut pile them together the biggest filters on the bottom and the smaller ones on top. Make two holes in the top of the smaller filters with the wire, I made my wire in a U shape and held it upside down to push through the layers of coffee filters. 


Next twist up the wires that are through the bottom of the bigger filters, I pinched the coffee filters together a bit on the bottom so that it would add more volume to the flower.

Starting with the center filter squeeze the filter and fluff (don't you love my describing words? I can't think of another way to describe it haha) it around so that it resembles a flower, keep going  through each layer of coffee filter until you are at the end. 


 Then VOILA! you have a beautiful but easy and inexpensive flower decorations for a party! You can add stems to them to put into a vase, hang them up or just have them through out your food table. 

I dyed some of my coffee filters in a water/food coloring mixture and then let them dry over night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment