Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crockpot Pumpkin!

The other day we were able to get some pumpkins for free, the same pumpkins from KBeaner's fall photo shoot.  I figured since I’ve been all about baking with pumpkins (in the can) why not try cooking my own pumpkin! Big plus that it was free, and organic! I looked online for ways to bake pumpkins and then I stumbled upon this tutorial where you cook your pumpkin in a crockpot! I’ll take any excuse to use my crockpot, I love how easy it is and it doesn’t heat up our apartment.


This morning I washed my pumpkin in hot water, and then I cut it and took out the seeds (I’m going to be roasting the seeds later so I saved those).

I put 3 cups of water into my crockpot so that the bottom was covered in about ¾ inches of water. All you have to do next is add the pumpkins, turn the crockpot to high and wait 3 hours.

The tutorial I used said to wait 4 hours but I found my pumpkins were ready after 3 hours. You know they are ready when you can easily take the skin of the pumpkin off.

Let the pumpkin cool, the peel of the skin and the puree. I used my little hand blender but if you’re lucky enough to have a big food processor or blender puree in that.  I forgot to take a pic of the finished product..sorry!

Now use in your favorite recipe that calls for pumpkins. Maybe try Pumpkin Pancakes!

Later on I roasted the pumpkin seeds I had saved.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

While it’s preheating towel off your seeds, I sandwiched them between two paper towels.

Lay them out on a greased baking sheet (I used Pam) then sprinkle on salt, and any other seasonings you like.

Bake for 20 minutes, half way through stir them around so that they cook evenly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment