Thursday, September 27, 2012

Low Point Pizza Dough

Now I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again... I am obsessed with pizza! I’m always trying to find new ways to make pizza with low points that also tastes really well.  I’ve already shared with you my Spinach Pizza Dough, now I’ve made an even lower point pizza dough that is less dense.

The secret ingredients? Yogurt and applesauce to replace the oil! Sounds crazy but it tastes great!

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup ground flax meal
¾ tsp. salt
1 tbsp.  Apple sauce
1 tbsp. non-fat plain yogurt
 2 ¼ tsp. yeast (Or envelope of yeast)
1 cup warm water

First, depending on your yeast you may need to mix with water. The yeast I use I mix 2 ¼ tsp. with ¼ cup warm water, mix and let sit for 10 minutes. If you don’t have to mix with water first then just add it to the flour.
In a large mixing bowl combine  1 ½ cups whole wheat, ½ cup ground flax meal and ¾ tsp. salt.
Add yeast, 1 tbsp. apple sauce, 1 tbsp. non-fat plain yogurt and ¾ cup of warm water. Mix well.

Stir in the remaining flour, then knead on lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes or when smooth and elastic. Then place in a bowl covered with a clean towel for 30-60 minutes (check your yeast package to see if they recommend a shorter or longer rise time).

 Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease your pizza pans (I use 2 cookie sheets, since I like thin crust) with cooking spray.  Now spread out your dough as you would with normal pizza.
 
 
Bake for 10 minutes, then add your favorite toppings and bake for another 10-20 minutes or until done. Enjoy!

The whole dough is worth 26 points! To figure out how many points per slice your pizza is, add up the points of your toppings and the dough and then divide by how many slices you cut.  The pizza I did with this dough ended up being 2 points per slice!
You can make this dough 25 points by just doing all whole wheat flour and not adding the ground flax meal. I like adding it for nutritional value and I like the nutty flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment