Friday, September 14, 2012

Weigh-in and Spinach Pizza Dough


Wednesday is my weigh-in day. Last week I was 178lbs, which is super exciting, I’m not sure when the last time I was in the 170’s was…maybe the beginning of high school?  And now I’m….176lbs!!!
(me on weigh-in day!)
 
As you know I’m doing Weight Watchers, so weigh-in day also means starting over with my extra points day!!  I’ve noticed I tend to make a splurge meal on Wednesday nights.  I have an obsession with pizza, seriously I could eat it every day and it wouldn’t get boring. I actually eat a lot of pizza, you’re probably thinking “How is she losing weight and eating a lot of pizza?” Well to answer your question, I make a healthy version of pizza, I eat it in moderation (most of the time) and I keep track of how many points I’ve eaten. That’s why I love Weight Watchers you can eat what you want and still lose weight you just have to keep track.
For while I was making pizza with the store bought pizza dough because I felt like that was healthier than frozen pizza, then after listening to my mom (yes Mom, I listen!) I realized I could make pizza dough that is healthier and cheaper.  After making the whole wheat pizza dough a few times I realized I could be making it even healthier, by adding veggies right to the dough!  It adds volume to the dough and you’re getting a serving of hidden veggies in it. What’s not to love?

(This is the link to the recipe I used to inspire this http://breadworld.com/Recipe.aspx?id=150 )

Spinach Pizza Dough 
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup Ground Flax Meal
¾ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. + 2 tsp. apple sauce
 
1 tsp. olive oil
2 ¼ tsp. yeast (Or envelope of yeast)
1 cup warm water
½ package frozen spinach

 
First, depending on your yeast you may need to mix with water. The yeast I use I mix 2 ¼ tsp. with ¼ cup warm water, mix and let sit for 10 minutes. If you don’t have to mix with water first then just add it to the flour.
In a large mixing bowl combine 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, ½ cup ground flax meal, and ¾ tsp. salt.
(K-Beaner helping mix, its her favorite part.)
 
Add yeast, 1 tbsp. and 2 tsp. apple sauce, 1 tsp. olive oil and ¾ cup of warm water. Mix well.
Stir in the remaining flour, then knead on lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes or when smooth and elastic. Then placed in a bowl covered with a clean towel for 30-60 minutes (check your yeast package to see if they recommend a shorter or longer rise time).


While your dough is rising cook your spinach as the package directs. Next you need to drain as much liquid out as possible. I put the spinach in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the water out. It’s kind of gross looking and turns your towel green so make sure it’s a towel you don’t care about!

(Don't peek!)
 
When your dough is done rising knead in your spinach. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease your pizza pans (I use 2 cookie sheets, since I like thin crust) with cooking spray.  Now spread out your dough as you would with normal pizza.


Bake for 10 minutes, then add your favorite toppings and bake for another 10-20 minutes or until done. Enjoy!

The whole dough is worth 27 points, my pizza ended up being 2 points per slice after counting the points of the toppings and dividing the total points with the number of slices I cut the pizza into.

 Here is my equation- # of points for dough + # of points for toppings/how many slices the pizza is cut into=points per slice
(my pizzas' all done! I used fat-free mozzarella cheese, left over taco meat (99% lean ground turkey), tomato sauce and onions)
 
 
I've made this before with zuchinni instead of spinach, so try out your fave veggie and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment