Monday, April 15, 2013

Sugar Addict 2

 
If you read my Sugar Addict post you know that I am addicted to sugar. I haven't had more than 12 g of sugar per serving of food (not including fruits and vegetables) since April 2012. It's not as hard to say no now, but it was VERY hard in the first few days and weeks. Here are some tips that helped me get through those hard times.

Stay Away From Sugary Foods- This is a  tough one. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to remove all the tempting foods from their house. I started limit sugar right around Easter. At the time it felt like a stupid idea, why take away sugar during the best candy season?!? I wasn't able to get away from all the candy, but when I got home from those few days visiting family, I was able to get rid of the candy and overly sugary foods at my house.

Throw it Out- Now I'm very cheap, part of me did not want to just throw away perfectly "good" food. I had to keep reminding myself that this food isn't "good" for me, if I ate that bag of jelly beans I would be pushed back even further from my goal of limiting sugar and losing weight. That was a very hard day throwing out those jelly beans, but I am so thankful that I did! If you're still feeling like you don't want to throw away money, just remind yourself most sugary foods are really cheap, but medical bills are not cheap! Eating that bag of candy just brings you closer to all those nasty diseases that are complications of obesity. Now let me just clarify that eating in moderation is fine, its great, if you're one of those amazing people that can have a handful of MandMs and stop at that, then you're probably not addicted to sugar, and I'm jealous of your willpower! I'm talking to people like me who would eat the whole bag and want some more, and would have more.

Add More Fruits and Veggies- They'll fill you up and satisfy some of your cravings.

Drink More Water- That way you'll know if you're actually hungry and not dehydrated. Plus it fills you up.

Just Say NO!- yeah, super cliche, but it really does help. It is okay to say "No" to someone if they offer you food that has too much sugar. I know it's hard, you don't want to make anyone feel bad, but you have to remember how bad it will make you feel eating it.

Stay Away From the Fake Stuff- for now. At first having a fake sugary dessert made me want to have more desserts, and not just the fake kind. Sugar substitutes aren't the healthiest thing in the world, but I feel like in moderation they are alright. I am trying to steer away from them now, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with having some Splenda once in awhile.

Distract Yourself- If you're having a horrible craving find something else to do, go for a walk, workout, play a game, do a craft anything to keep yourself busy and distracted. Tell yourself if in 20 minutes I still want that, then I can have it, but usually you won't want it, or you'll say "let me try 20 more minutes before I have it!"

Remember How Far You've Come- Even if "how far you've come" is only a few hours, remember how hard it was to start, imagine having to start over. Will you even be able to start over? If you do give in to a craving, and can start over you will have to start from the very beginning again! Is that what you want? That's not what I wanted, and I had conversations in my head like that a lot when I was first limiting sugar. Heck, I even have those now. Sometimes I want to quit, but look how far I've come, how hard I have worked and how incredibly better I feel!

I hope that these tips help you!!

Oh and a disclaimer again I'm not a doctor, this is just what has worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment