Friday, October 19, 2012

Healthy Mexican Lasagna


I love recreating recipes to make them healthier but just as delicious. My mom has always made Mexican Lasagna, its layers of tortillas, ground beef with salsa, sour cream, refried beans and lots of cheese. It’s amazing!! I don’t even want to think of how many points it would be! It’s one of my favorites and when I was younger I would have my Mom make it for my birthday dinner almost every year.
I had seen on Pinterest  (if you're on pinterest you should follow me...if not you should join its addicting) to use cut up zucchini instead of noodles in traditional lasagna. That got me thinking, what if I did that instead of the tortillas in my mom’s Mexican lasagna?  So I tried it!

Instead of sour cream I used nonfat Greek yogurt, instead of refried beans I used kidney beans and I switched out the ground beef for ground turkey.  It came out phenomenal! Just as good and for a large portion only 6.5 points!!

Ingredients:
2 Zucchinis
1 can kidney beans (rinsed)
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1lb ground turkey meat
1 jar of salsa (I accidentally grabbed one that had corn and beans in it, normally I just use mild salsa)

First thinly slice your zucchini, either in circles, or in long strips, I’ve done both but it’s easier to do circles I think. 

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Lightly salt them and let them sit for about 10 minutes, after ten minutes use a paper towel to take off the extra moisture.

 Spread them out onto a greased cookie sheet, and place in the oven for about 10 minutes, the flip them over and cook for 10 more minutes. (I advise keeping an eye on them; mine had some darker spots to them).

While the zucchini is in the oven for the 2nd time start cooking your ground turkey, I just used a large frying pan with no oil.

Once the ground turkey is cooked add your salsa, mix well.

At this time your zucchini should be done baking and slightly cooled. Cover the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish with one layer of the sliced zucchini. (I forgot to take a picture of just the zucchini in the pan but just so you know its OK if they are not all touch each other)

Then add a layer of your turkey/salsa mixture (I use about half of each ingredient in each layer)


Then add a layer of beans,

Layer of nonfat Greek yogurt, this is wear it gets a little messy.

Add a layer of cheese.

Continue your layers until you get to the top or you are out of ingredients.

Bake your Healthy Mexican Lasagna in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Once it is done cooking let it sit so that some of the liquid is absorbed. I let this sit for about 15 minutes.

Cut into 6 portions.


I hope you enjoy this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment